Hello everyone! My name is Avni, and I am currently a third-year student at the University of Victoria, double majoring in Economics and English Literature. Originally from Grande Prairie, Alberta, I moved to Victoria in 2022 to pursue my studies.

Educational Journey

My educational journey has been quite a blend of diverse experiences. My interest in Economics stems from a desire to understand the complexities of our financial systems and their impact on society. This interest particularly deepened during the Covid-19 pandemic, when I began to look into how economic policies and financial systems responded to the crisis (Like many of us, I had a lot of free time). English Literature, on the other hand, allows me to explore human expression and cultural narratives.

Interests in Open and Distributed Learning

Open and distributed learning fascinates me because of its potential to democratize education. It breaks down geographical barriers and allows access to knowledge for anyone with an internet connection. This inclusivity is something I deeply value, as it aligns with my belief that education should be accessible to all.

Use of Digital Tools in Learning

In my educational journey, digital tools have been extremely valuable. I use various online platforms for research, collaborative projects, and staying organized. Tools like Google Scholar, UVIC digital libraries, and course management systems such as Brightspace have streamlined my learning process. Additionally, I often engage with educational content on platforms like YouTube and Coursera to supplement my studies.

Understanding Digital Literacy

Digital literacy, in my view, is the ability to effectively use digital tools to find, evaluate, create, and communicate information. It’s crucial in open and distributed learning settings as it empowers students to navigate the extensive amount of information available online, discern credible sources, and engage with content meaningfully. Being digitally literate also means understanding the ethical considerations of digital interactions and maintaining a safe online presence.

Experiences with Open and Distributed Learning

My experiences with open learning include taking several online courses due to Covid-19. These courses have provided me with flexible learning opportunities. I’ve found that participating in discussion forums and group projects in these courses enhances my understanding and allows me to contribute to a collective learning environment.

Engagement and Contribution

Throughout this course, I plan to actively engage with the content and discussions. I believe in the power of collaborative learning and hope to contribute by sharing insights from my double major and personal experiences. By doing so, I aim to enrich our collective understanding and make the most of this open learning experience.

I look forward to learning with all of you!

Best regards,
Avni